At least 40 million of the American citizens have dating apps on their phones. If you are one of those people who are in love with the idea of online dating, have you ever wondered how safe it is? When we meet someone, either on a networking site or in real life, it is wise to follow some safety measures to avoid unfortunate occurrences. As a matter of fact, did you know that dating apps do not run background checks on their users’ criminal records? So, it is totally up to the individual to decide whether to meet a person or not. So, there are chances of facing violence or sexual assault while using one such app.
If reading about this makes you anxious, we won’t ask you to quit dating. But, there are several steps you can take to ensure that your personal details remain safe while you interact with a stranger. Here are some steps that you need to take for the sake of personal security.
Things to remember while bonding on a virtual platform:
- Use multiple photos- It is better not to reveal too much about yourself unless you are sure about someone. You do not want a clingy person to look you up on Instagram or Facebook and bother you. Using different pictures for profiles on different sites will be a smart move.
- Research about your date on social networking sites- If you know the name of your match or the two of you have some mutual friends on social media, research a bit about the person before going on a date. This will help you know if the social media profile or the person is fake or genuine
- Stay away from unreliable profiles- If your match has almost nothing written on the bio, has not shared any personal information, has provided none or only one photograph of himself/herself, and has not linked any other account, it can be a fake account. A person who shares very little information definitely has a lot to hide.
- Report and block suspicious users- You must report and block any user if the person behaves inappropriately or if you find the profile suspicious. This can be done anytime, before or after you start talking. Always rely on your instincts and read about these common instances of dubious conduct to stay safe:
- Asking for money by mentioning a personal or any other crisis
- Disappears suddenly and then comes back assuming a new name
- Gives vague responses to simple questions
- Pressurizes to give phone number or details about your accounts on social networking sites
- Tells grandiose or inconsistent stories
- Overly romantic and complimentary too early
We may conclude by saying that online dating has both cons and pros. Many people find their true love on a digital dating platform and become life-partners. So, if you are shy in person and find it difficult to form connections face-to-face, taking help of an app is a great idea. Just stay safe and enjoy dating.